JEFFREY CHAPPELL - PIANIST
Between 1994 and 2000, Jeffrey Chappell published numerous articles, book reviews, and CD reviews as a writer and contributing editor for Piano & Keyboard Magazine. The highly-respected magazine, which had international distribution, ceased publication in 2001. He also wrote "Taking the Long View", the lead feature article for the October 1993 issue of Clavier Magazine, discussing his philosophy of teaching and making music. Reproduced here are the following articles and reviews:
- "High Strung and Keyed Up", the Piano 300 Smithsonian Exhibit.
- "Masters and Muses: Great Teachers in the Twentieth Century", Artur Schnabel and Leon Fleisher.
- "Jane Allen 1928-1998", a memorial.
- "From Sonata to 'Satin Doll': The Piano Music of George Walker".
- "Satie Remembered".
- "The Piano: Its Present and Future".
- "Civilized Passion: The Piano Music of Gabriel Fauré".
- "King of Ragtime: Scott Joplin and His Era".
- "Speaking the Lingo: A Classical Pianist Explains Jazz".
- "Start Playing Jazz in About Five Minutes".
As a teacher of music, Jeffrey Chappell has written the following manuscripts for use in his classes:
Jeffrey Chappell presented a lecture-recital at the Stella Adler Studio of Acting in New York City addressing the parallels between acting and performing music. The following is a transcript of the lecture.